UPDATE: More reasons added thanks to promising news
After putting some thought it in, I believe there’s a very good chance that IE9 will include native SVG support. Here’s my reasoning:
- The EU’s pressure on MS to support more standards in IE.
- There’s few other really stable specifications left unsupported in IE8.
- SVG Web library should increase SVG usage on web, more usage means more reason for MS to support it.
- With SVG Web around, any potential competition with Silverlight should be a non-issue.
- [September 19] Microsoft becomes a sponsor of SVG Open 2009. Several IE members are seen attending panels.
- [November 12] Microsoft sends their first email to the public SVG working group mailing list
What do you think?